10 Questions Parents Should Ask During Their Child’s First Week at a UK School

 🌐 한국어로 읽기 → 한국어 버전 보기


Starting school in a new country can feel overwhelming for both children and parents. Understanding how the school works — and knowing what to ask during the first few days — can make the transition much easier.

If your child has recently joined a UK school from overseas, the first week is a good opportunity to understand their year placement, English-language support, school routines and pastoral care.

Here are 10 practical questions parents can ask the school to help their child settle in with confidence.


1. How was my child’s year group decided?

In England, children are normally placed in a year group according to their age and date of birth. For a child arriving from overseas, the school or local authority may also consider previous school records and the circumstances of the application.

If you are unsure why your child has been placed in a particular year group, ask the school to explain the decision and whether any initial academic assessment will be carried out.

Ask the school:

  • Which year group has my child been placed in?
  • How was the placement decided?
  • Will there be an initial academic assessment?
  • Who should I speak to if I have concerns about the placement?

2. What EAL support is available for my child?

If English is not your child’s first language, ask what support the school provides for pupils who use English as an Additional Language (EAL).

Support varies between schools. Some children may receive an initial language assessment, additional help in the classroom or targeted support while they become more confident using English in lessons.

Ask the school:

  • Will my child have an initial English-language assessment?
  • What EAL support is available?
  • Will support be provided during normal lessons?
  • Who can I contact if I have questions about my child’s progress in English?

3. What should I provide from my child’s previous school?

Previous school reports, academic records and information about your child’s learning can help the new school understand their educational background.

Ask whether documents from overseas need to be translated and whether the school requires any particular records. If your child has previously received additional learning support, tell the school as early as possible so that they can discuss what support may be appropriate.

Ask the school:

  • Which school reports or records should I provide?
  • Do any documents need to be translated?
  • Who should I contact about additional learning needs?
  • Should I arrange a meeting with the school’s SENCO?

4. What is the school uniform policy?

Most schools have their own uniform policy, and requirements can vary considerably. Some items may be available from supermarkets or general retailers, while items carrying the school logo may need to be purchased from a specified supplier.

If your child has joined the school at short notice, ask whether there is any flexibility while you arrange the correct uniform. It is also worth asking whether the school offers a second-hand uniform scheme.

Ask the school:

  • What uniform does my child need?
  • Where can I buy the required items?
  • Which items must have the school logo?
  • Is second-hand uniform available?
  • Is there any flexibility while we arrange the full uniform?

5. How do school meals work?

Ask whether your child will have school meals or bring a packed lunch, and find out how meals are ordered and paid for. Payment systems and arrangements vary between schools, so it is useful to set everything up during the first few days.

If your child has a food allergy or particular dietary requirement, make sure the school knows about it and ask what information or documentation they require.

Ask the school:

  • How do I register and pay for school meals?
  • Can my child bring a packed lunch?
  • How should I inform the school about allergies or dietary requirements?
  • Who should I contact if I have questions about school meals?
  • Is my child eligible for free school meals, and how can I check?


6. How should I report an absence?

Regular school attendance is important, and every school has its own procedure for reporting absence. Parents should find out how and when to contact the school if their child is unwell or unable to attend.

If you are considering taking your child out of school during term time, speak to the school beforehand and check the relevant rules rather than making travel arrangements first.

Ask the school:

  • How and when should I report my child’s absence?
  • Who should I contact if my child is ill?
  • Do I need to provide any additional information for a longer absence?
  • What is the school’s procedure for requesting leave during term time?
  • Where can I find the school’s attendance policy?

7. How will the school communicate with parents?

UK schools commonly use email, online portals or apps to communicate with parents about school notices, payments, attendance, reports and events. Ask which systems your child’s school uses and make sure you are registered as soon as possible.

If English is not your first language, you can also ask whether translated information or interpreting support may be available for important meetings.

Ask the school:

  • Which app, portal or email system does the school use?
  • How do I register for it?
  • Where will I receive important school notices and reports?
  • How are Parents’ Evenings arranged?
  • Is interpreting or language support available if needed?

8. What pastoral support is available to help my child settle in?

Starting school in a new country can be a significant emotional and social adjustment. Ask what pastoral support is available if your child feels anxious, isolated or finds it difficult to settle into their new environment.

Some schools may offer mentoring, buddy systems or other forms of pastoral support to help new pupils become familiar with school life and make connections with other students.

Ask the school:

  • Who can my child speak to if they are finding it difficult to settle in?
  • Is there a pastoral or wellbeing team?
  • Does the school offer a buddy or mentoring system for new pupils?
  • How will the school let me know if there are concerns about my child’s wellbeing?
  • Who should I contact if I am worried about my child’s adjustment?

9. What clubs and extracurricular activities can my child join?

Clubs and extracurricular activities can be a helpful way for a new pupil to meet other students, practise English naturally and feel part of the school community.

Activities vary between schools and may include sport, music, art, drama, coding or other interests. Some clubs have limited places or specific registration dates, so it is worth asking about them early.

Ask the school:

  • What clubs and activities are available?
  • How and when can my child register?
  • Are there any fees?
  • Are places limited?
  • Which activities might be suitable for a pupil who has recently joined the school?

10. What support is available for families who are new to the area?

Moving to a new country often means adjusting to a new community as well as a new school. Some schools may be able to direct families to local services, community groups, family support organisations or English-language classes.

Ask whether the school has information specifically for newly arrived families and where you can find reliable local support.

Ask the school:

  • Is there a welcome pack or information for new families?
  • Are there local parent or community groups?
  • Where can parents find English or ESOL classes?
  • Can the school recommend local family support services?
  • Who should I contact if I need help finding local information?

First-Week Checklist for Parents

During your child’s first week, try to make sure you have:

  • Confirmed your child’s year group and key school contacts
  • Registered for the school’s parent app or online portal
  • Provided relevant previous school records
  • Asked about EAL and additional learning support if needed
  • Checked the school uniform requirements
  • Set up school meal and payment arrangements
  • Saved the school’s absence-reporting procedure
  • Asked about pastoral and wellbeing support
  • Checked available clubs and extracurricular activities
  • Asked where to find local support for newly arrived families

A Final Note for Parents

You do not need to understand every part of the school system during your child’s first few days. Asking a few practical questions can help you understand how the school works and give the school a clearer picture of your child’s needs.

Keep important contact details, school policies and parent-app login information together, and do not hesitate to ask the school for clarification when something is unclear.

School systems, terminology and procedures vary across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and individual schools may also have different arrangements. For important or time-sensitive information, always check with your child’s school, local authority or the relevant official government website.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parents’ Evening in UK Schools: What I Wish I Had Known as a Parent

How to Find and Register with a GP in England: A Practical Guide for New Arrivals

Is My Child Really Doing Well at School? How to Read Between the Lines of a UK School Report