Parents’ Evening in UK Schools: What I Wish I Had Known as a Parent

 



I was more nervous about meeting my children’s teachers than I ever remember being about meeting my own.

Perhaps it was because they were my children’s teachers.

I wanted to make a good impression. I worried that I might ask the wrong question or misunderstand something. And, something I can smile about now, I even wondered what I was supposed to wear.

Should I dress smartly? Was Parents’ Evening a formal school occasion? Would everyone else somehow know exactly what to do except me?

Of course, when I arrived, parents were simply parents. Some had come straight from work, some were dressed casually, and nobody seemed particularly interested in what anyone else was wearing.

But when you are new to a country and unfamiliar with its school culture, even very small things can feel surprisingly important.

Then there was the meeting itself.

You may have only a few minutes with the teacher, but somehow you want answers to everything.

Is my child happy?

Are they keeping up academically?

Have they made friends?

Is there something the teacher has noticed that my child has never mentioned at home?

And, perhaps most importantly:

Is there anything I should be doing?

That is why I came to realise that Parents’ Evening is not simply an opportunity to hear whether your child is “doing well”.

It is an opportunity to see a little of the life your child has when you are not there.


So, What Exactly Is Parents’ Evening?

Parents’ Evening is a scheduled opportunity for parents to speak with their child’s teacher or teachers about their progress at school.

Depending on the school, it may take place face-to-face or online.

If your child is at primary school, you will usually meet their class teacher. At secondary school, the experience can be quite different: you may have a series of short appointments with individual subject teachers.

And I do mean short.

The first time, it is easy to imagine that there will be plenty of time to discuss everything. Then suddenly you realise that your appointment is almost over and the question you really wanted to ask is still sitting somewhere in the back of your mind.

That taught me something simple: prepare two or three questions before you go.

Not ten.

Just the ones you genuinely want answered.


At Primary School, Look Beyond the Numbers

With younger children, I found that some of the most valuable conversations were not necessarily about academic results.

Of course, you want to know about reading, writing and maths.

But you also want to know about the child who walks through the school gates each morning.

Are they happy?

Do they join in?

Have they made friends?

Do they ask for help when they need it?

Are they confident, or are they much quieter at school than they are at home?

For families who have recently arrived in the UK, these questions can be especially important.

A child may be learning a new curriculum, adjusting to a different classroom culture, making new friends and perhaps communicating in a language that is not their first language — all at the same time.

Academic progress matters, but settling in matters too.

Some useful questions are:

  • How is my child settling into the class?
  • Are they interacting well with other children?
  • How are they progressing in reading, writing and maths?
  • Is there anything they find particularly difficult?
  • Do they participate confidently in lessons?
  • Is there anything we could do at home to support them?


Then Comes Secondary School…

Secondary Parents’ Evening can feel completely different.

Instead of one longer conversation with a class teacher, you may find yourself moving from English to maths, then science, languages and humanities.

After several appointments, it can become surprisingly difficult to remember who said what.

This is when I think it becomes important to listen for patterns.

Perhaps one teacher says your child needs to contribute more in class.

That may simply be one teacher’s observation.

But if English, history and science teachers all say the same thing, now you have something worth discussing with your child.

The same applies to strengths.

If several teachers independently mention analytical ability, strong writing, creativity or particular enthusiasm for a subject, pay attention to that too.

Parents’ Evening is not only about finding problems.

Sometimes it helps us notice strengths in our children that we had not fully recognised ourselves.


The Little Word I Learned to Listen For: “But”

There is something else I gradually learned.

British teachers can be wonderfully gentle when giving difficult feedback.

You may hear:

“She’s doing really well. She’s a pleasure to teach…”

You relax.

And then:

“…but…”

Listen carefully to what comes next.

It may be that homework is rushed.

Perhaps your child understands the work but rarely contributes to discussion.

Maybe their written answers need more detail, their organisation needs work, or they are capable of considerably more than they are currently showing.

The praise before the but is genuine.

But the part after it may be the information that helps your child most.


“Doing Well” Can Mean Different Things

This is something international parents can easily miss.

You may leave thinking:

The teacher said she is doing well, so everything must be fine.

But what does “doing well” actually mean?

Is your child meeting the expected standard?

Are they working at their full potential?

Are they making good progress from their own starting point?

Could they be achieving more?

Those are slightly different questions.

So if you are unsure, it is perfectly acceptable to ask:

“When you say she is doing well, could you explain what that means academically?”

That is not being difficult.

It is simply making sure that you and the teacher understand each other.


And What If Your English Isn’t Perfect?

For international parents, sometimes the anxiety is not really about the school at all.

It is about language.

What if I don’t understand the teacher?

What if I cannot explain what I want to ask?

What if I use the wrong word?

You really do not need complicated English.

Simple questions are often the best questions:

“What does he need to improve?”

“Is she working at the expected level?”

“Is he confident in class?”

“What can we do at home?”

And if you do not understand something, ask.

“Sorry, could you explain that a little more slowly?”

or

“Could you explain what that means for my child?”

Parents’ Evening is not an English examination for parents.


For Older Students, Start Looking Ahead

As children become older, Parents’ Evening gradually changes again.

The conversation may begin to include GCSE choices, A-level subjects, predicted attainment, university aspirations and future pathways.

At this stage I would ask not only:

“How is my child doing?”

but also:

“What would help them move to the next level?”

“Where do you think their particular strengths are?”

“Is there anything they should address now rather than later?”

Teachers see our children in a context we do not.

We know the child at the breakfast table, on the sofa, arguing with a sibling or worrying about homework late at night.

Teachers know another version — the student in a classroom, among peers, responding to challenge.

Both pictures matter.


What I Eventually Stopped Worrying About

After enough Parents’ Evenings, I stopped worrying about what to wear.

I stopped worrying quite so much about whether I was asking the “right” question.

And I realised that I did not need to understand every detail of the British education system before walking through the door.

What mattered was much simpler.

I needed to listen.

I needed to ask when I did not understand.

And I needed to come away knowing a little more about how my child was experiencing school.



If it is your first Parents’ Evening in the UK and you feel slightly nervous, you may find that everyone else looks as though they know exactly what they are doing.

They probably don’t.

They are parents too.

Take two or three questions with you. Listen to the good things as carefully as the concerns. And when the teacher tells you something your child is doing particularly well, remember to tell your child that too.

Because sometimes the most valuable thing we bring home from Parents’ Evening is not a grade or a target.

It is a little more understanding of the person our child is becoming.


Related Guides

  • Understanding the UK Education System: A Guide for International Families
  • How to Apply for a School Place in England: A Practical Guide for Families Moving to the UK
  • 한국어로 읽기:영국 학교 Parents’ Evening 처음 가시나요? 학부모 상담에서 꼭 물어볼 질문과 준비 방법





  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    How to Find and Register with a GP in England: A Practical Guide for New Arrivals

    Is My Child Really Doing Well at School? How to Read Between the Lines of a UK School Report